Fishing in Bali
Where are the best fishing spots in Bali? The answer is simple: everywhere. Whether you catch fish from the sea or freshwater, you can be sure you’ll catch a lot of fish and post it on social media to the envy of your friends and followers. But for a trouble-free fishing trip to Bali, it’s worth asking for a trustworthy guide. Especially if this is your first time not only on the island, but fishing in general.
- The question of insurance – the primary. It is solved by buying a policy from the tour operator (get medical or sports insurance) or through the service “Cherehapa”. If you are interested in fishing on your own in Bali, you can contact both Russian and Balinese insurers, already in the hotel or diving center.
- Bali can be an “island of bad luck” for you if you have no experience of fishing in the tropics – from the sea or freshwater, from a boat or a boat. There are three ways out: book a tour for a day or half a day with a Russian guide in advance, order services upon arrival at the hotel, or seek help from local “experts”. The effectiveness of each method depends on the skill level of the guide, so the choice is obvious: a tour with a Russian-speaking guide, who can always be comprehensibly explained that the fishing does not tolerate loud idle chatter.
- Fishing in Bali in a T-shirt and shorts – that’s where the extreme, so you should ideally wear a short neoprene wetsuit with minimal water absorption or at least a hydromaid. Humidity is high (60% in dry season, 75-85% in wet season), and prolonged exposure even to very warm water – a direct route to catch cold. The best choice for coral (reef) fishing is clothing that covers hands and feet. You may also need the following clothing: hat, sunglasses, towel, sunscreen with SPF 20-30 and higher, swimsuit.
- When deciding what gear to bring, don’t forget that they will need to be transported. Your luggage can be damaged or lost, so it’s better to leave the expensive gear for your heart and wallet at home, and to equip – on the island. What to take: ordinary or folding rods, dons, spinning speed or superfast with a multiplier reels and rod length of 2.5-2.7 m, hooks (one-flex O.Shaughnessy, double-flex, triple), fishing line (0,1-0,5 mm) or braided line of 6 lb, spinner. Jig-spinning, jig-heads, wobblers, according to guides, unnecessary, they are not used here. By the way, the weight of some “specimens” from the number of allowed to fish reaches 150 kg, so you’ll need powerful tackle.
- Listen carefully to the guide and repeat after him all the actions, even if you were born with a spinning rod in your hands. The bottom can be dangerous, tides can be “sudden”, coastal or reef currents can be strong, unfamiliar fish can be poisonous. Seasickness is also possible, especially when trolling far from shore.
Fish and fish places
The best time to go fishing in Bali is during the wet season – from November to March. The peak of popularity of this type of recreation is in December or January: the fish bites, and the Christmas holidays provide an opportunity to relax on a full roll.
While trolling it is possible to catch blue marlin, corifena (mahi-mahi), giant species of tuna: yellowfin, bigeye, bluefin. Marlin or tuna will require strong tackle as well as a great deal of strength and patience to fish. The fish resist for a long time, up to 20-30 minutes.
Coral fishing is dominated by relative “minnows” – surgeon fish, parrot fish, coral trout, butterfly fish, red or white snapper (snapper), pufferfish (another name for fugu). The most common fish in coral reefs are mackerel and karanx. If you come across a school of fish you have enough work for the evening.
According to experienced fishermen, the most difficult fish here is barracuda. Its fishing tackle is simple, like on the pike – spinning and spinning bait, it attacks the bait quickly, and then takes the fisherman “on the weed. During ascent from the water barracuda actively jumps from side to side, can bite the line or hand, so be careful.
The best places for sea fishing – in the east of the island: Padang Baja, Chandidas, Ameda, Gili Archipelago, as well as between Bali and Lombok. Good catches – near the islands of Nusa, Cape Benoa, where Nusa Dua is located, Jimbaran, which is in the southern part of Bali.
Fishing is best at dawn, certainly with the tide, and the many snorkelers will not interfere. Good and night fishing (from 7 pm to midnight), but only during high tide, when catching big fish. Evening catch is small fish, however, in large quantities.
Trolling with a speedboat is the most common method of fishing in Bali. Spinning for trolling – with a short but strong rod, the bait – artificial (fish 10-20 cm, depending on the expected catch), but it is better to pick up a live. Bait is also used as a troll.
Snares put a few, with different baits, a thick fishing line (0.5 mm) or braided, strained to 25-50 meters from the board – at different distances and depths. What happens next: a boat with a speed of 4-6 km / h (2-3 knots) moves on the sea waves, and passengers, watching the tackle, waiting for a nibble.
The usual 10-meter trolling boat is designed for four or six tourists. A half-day (4-5 hours) sea fishing from a boat will cost on average from $100 per person, the price of a full day (7-8 hours) – $130-150. The cost of renting a fishing boat or catamaran from morning to evening is $200-250 per tourist.
If you get very seasick – fish from the shore. What you can catch: tuna, mackerel, karanx, and with a bit of luck – mahi-mahi or barracuda. What kind of gear to bring: spinning with a multiplier or a regular rod with fishing line. On the mackerel can take a simple – to 0,2 – 0,3 mm, tuna or mahi-mahi “will require” line stronger – to 0,5 mm, but better – braided.
This type of fishing in Bali is the most active, for those who are interested not in the result, but in the process. The fish bite all the time, so do not yawn. The fishing tackle is simple: a rod with a reel, a sinker and a hook, or a light spinning rod with a bobber. Bait – natural: squid, shrimp, pieces of meat.
A boat only for coral fishing is better to take a local, Balinese (bedau), with supporting floats of bamboo or wood, equipped with outboard motors. Such a vehicle is more resistant to rocking while at anchor than a boat. The cost of fishing is from $70-80 per person. If you decide to combine coral fishing with trolling, it is better to ride on a speedboat, but the cost of such a trip will increase by adding the amounts for each type of service.
The lakes and rivers on the island remain full even during the dry season (from April to October), but freshwater fishing can only be done by reservation, which is not usually included in the package tour. By the way, among the locals such fishing is almost taboo. They believe that only sea water makes a fish.
The best places for lake fishing – Beratan in the northern part of the island, Batur – in the east. The catch is gourami, fishbowl, catfish are caught. Fishermen are taken around the lake by local bedau boats. Tackle: long fishing rod with a line up to 0.2 mm, a sinker and a hook, bait – local varieties of moths. The price of freshwater fishing is $200 per person per day.
“The Coral Triangle” in the Indian Ocean is the most “catchable” region on the planet. So if you are a true adventurer, it is worth going fishing in Bali alone or with a Russian guide who knows all the peculiarities of the local bite.
Fishing in Bali
For the more adventurous, Bali offers all kinds of fishing: saltwater fishing, trolling, coral reef fishing, or freshwater lakes fishing.
Many vacationers prefer passive recreation on the beach, combining travel and a favorite hobby, particularly fishing. The Indonesian island of Bali, which is shaped like a fish, offers tourists such an opportunity. Tourist service organizes various types of fishing. Engage in their favorite pastime in Bali can be year round, but recommended time after the rainy season, lasting from November to March.
Sea Fishing in Bali
Sea fishing around Bali is unique and varied. The waters between Indonesia and Australia: Indian Ocean, Bali Sea, Java Sea, are the spawning grounds for many species of marine life.
Fishing in coastal waters causes excitement, and even inexperienced beginners are rewarded with a catch. For Russians interested in the fish barracuda, which is compared to the usual pike. When catching use similar baits and tactical actions. Barracuda reacts quickly. Once on the hook, it actively resists for a long time. Pulling it out takes time.
Important. Care must be taken, as an aggressive barracuda with its sharp teeth can cause injury.
A lot of strength, stamina will be required to pull a tuna or marlin.
This type of fishing, also called trolling, requires special tackle: spinning rods must have a short, strong rod. Water transport moves at low speed. Prey trolling in Bali can be:
- tuna (yellowfin, bluefin, bigeye),
- mahi-mahi (external characteristics of fish: long flat body, high forehead resembling a dolphin),
- blue marlin (a fisherman’s dream).
Bait is a troll, squid or an artificial fish 10-20 cm in size. Reels-multipliers, hooks from single to triple, line of thickness 0,5 centimeters are used. All fishing gear is provided.
An interesting fact. In the waters of Bali there are individuals of tuna up to 150 pounds.
Night Fishing in Bali
Night time for many species of fish is active and productive. Commercial fish hunt at night. Night fishing accordingly has its advantages for catching valuable specimens.
Chaperones explain night fishing methods that differ from the daytime process. Fishing begins around 19.00 and continues until midnight.
Bali’s mangrove forests are full of lakes and rivers. Wildlife, exotic fish, crabs will delight the traveling fishermen. Lake fishing is more accessible, cheaper. Among the lakes tourists highlight Batur and Bratan, where the local boats, called bedau, you can catch small fish and crabs.
On the territories of resort areas there are artificial ponds, where you can catch gourami, catfish, fish “leela”, “bowl”. Local boys accompany tourists, stringing on a hook insects used as bait.
The process of coral fishing is carried out within the coral reefs. The boat, boat or other means of transportation drifts or is anchored. At the same time, the fisherman enjoys the peaceful atmosphere, beautiful scenery and catches fish. The fishing is not interrupted. A variety of coral fish species will be caught:
- coral trout,
- butterfly fish,
- surgeon fish,
- parrot fish, etc.
A non-standard fish with several names at the same time: pufferfish, rockfish, ball fish, sea urchin, in a quiet state looks unassuming. When a feeling of danger arises, it becomes a ball with sharp spines on all sides. Being poisonous, it nevertheless becomes an unusual dish called “Fugu”.
Interesting fact. One fish contains an amount of tetrodotoxin poison that is fatal for 30 people. But a skilled chef is able to prepare fugu in such a way that the small amount of poison causes a euphoric state when eating the dish. however, there is no guarantee of safety. Until the middle of the 20th century, if guests were poisoned by this dish, the chef had to eat it too.
Underwater Hunting in Bali
Fans of extreme sensations are given the opportunity to participate in underwater scuba diving. The depth of diving is 10-25 meters. The fee includes transportation, equipment, escort a guide who speaks Russian. From Nusa Dua, Nusa Penida, Amed, Padang Bay 1 person pays about 200 USD. Catch coral fish, Spanish mackerel, karanx.
Important. Fans of fish are advised to visit the fishing area of Jimbaran bay, where tourists are amazed by the abundance of fish species. The catch reaches up to 70-80 kilograms. Here is the most popular fish market of Bali, which is considered its national landmark.
The cost of various fishing trips depends on the number of people, vehicle, gear used, and time.
|Name or location||Features||Duration (hour)||Cost|
|Tanjung Benoa, Nusa Dua Beach, 10 km from Ngurah Rai Airport||1-4 persons, sea fishing, trolling, coral reef||5-6||300 USD|
|Nusa Dua, Sanur||1 person, transfers, boat rental, tackle, coral fishing||4||80 USD – 100 USD|
|Padangbai Beach, Lembogan||5 people, Bunga Jepun (10 meters), Bunga Caliandra or Bunga Mawar (11 meters) boats||4-5 7-8||500 USD 650 USD|
|Nusa Penida||1 person, trolling||4||200 USD|
|Batur lake||1 person||8||200 USD|
You can ask to cook the most liked caught specimens in the nearest restaurant. Tourists are not denied the pleasure of tasting their own catch.