How and where to book a cab (transfer) from Colombo airport to the hotel
If you’re planning to spend your vacation on the beaches of Sri Lanka and decided to organize everything yourself, without buying a tour, then the information about the transfer from Colombo airport to the hotel will be very useful to you. Why should I order a cab (transfer)? What is the best way to go about it? What are the options? How much does it cost? Is it possible to book a cab in advance? This article answers all questions about transfer or cab from the island’s main international airport – Colombo Airport to any hotel in Sri Lanka.
From this article you will learn:
Why it’s worth ordering a transfer from Colombo Airport
- Bandaranaike International Airport (more commonly referred to as “Colombo International Airport”) is Sri Lanka’s main airport. It is 35 km north of the city of Colombo and even farther from the sights and hotels at the popular Sri Lankan beach resorts.
To find out how far it is from the airport to your hotel, go to intui.travel, click Edit, and enter the name of your destination under “Destination”.
- Public transportation (buses and trains) in Sri Lanka is very cheap and very, very slow, with little or no comfort. First you need to get from the airport to Colombo and there to find a train station (see details – how to get to and from the airport to Colombo and how to buy train tickets in Sri Lanka).
- Pre-booked cab (tranfer) – is an opportunity to get from the airport to your hotel quickly and without hassle .
You don’t have to read the whole article, but just choose any of the trusted resources and book a cab (transfer) – kiwi.taxi, intui.travel or 12Go.asia.
How to book a cab from the airport to your hotel
There are three ways to book a transfer (cab) from Colombo airport to your hotel and each has its pros and cons to be aware of.
1 | Take a Colombo Airport Taxi – Take a Risk
Colombo Airport Taxi Prices
Colombo airport has official cab stands with fixed prices. There are two cab stands, one in the arrivals area (to the right of the exchange offices) and one outside, just outside the arrivals area.
It is one of the cheapest options for cabs from the airport to the hotel, but it has a number of disadvantages.
Disadvantages of Colombo airport cabs:
- at the cab stand in the arrivals area, there is a good chance of waiting in line,
- there may not be drivers who are willing to take you to the hotel (I have had tourists refused a cab to Sigiria on the grounds of “no drivers”),
- the car may be in a very poor technical condition (in other words, a wreck on wheels, which is scary to get into),
- the driver may not know the way and the location of your hotel (you will learn about this when he begins to ask for directions from passers-by).
The cost of a cab at the Colombo airport, you could look at the official website of the airport Bandaranaike, but now this link does not work.
2 | Book an airport transfer at the hotel – time to correspond
To find and book a hotel that provides such an additional service as airport transfer, set up a filter by checking the appropriate box when viewing the list of hotels. For example, on booking.com it looks like this:
Filter to find hotels with airport shuttle service on booking.com
Hotels are usually happy to help arrange airport transfers, but it’s worth remembering
- it can be one of the most expensive ways to get from the airport to the hotel (try bargaining to lower the cost of the shuttle),
- it is necessary to coordinate a request for a transfer in english via e-mail (it is more reliable than on the phone or via social networks),
- be sure that you are understood correctly (clearly agree the date, time of arrival, number of passengers and suitcases)
- when negotiating the price, always make sure that the Expressway toll is included,
- it is advisable to confirm your transfer a day in advance (to check that you have been remembered).
3.book a cab online – fast and convenient
There are three Russian-language websites, where you can quickly and easily book a transfer from the airport to the hotel almost anywhere and any beach in Sri Lanka – these sites kiwi.taxi, intui.travel or 12Go.asia.
Note that kiwi.taxi, intui.travel offer only transfers from and to the airport, but with 12Go.asia you can book a cab between cities or beaches in Sri Lanka.
The main advantages of this transfer booking method are:
How much does it cost to get from airport to hotel?
To give you an example, you can compare the cost of a transfer from Colombo airport to Hikkaduwa :
- Airport cab – about $55 plus $5 – $8 for the Expressway,
- Transfer at gettransfer – from $ 56 for an economy car, but the low price is offset by a complicated process of confirmation (you need to make a request and wait for responses from drivers),
- transfer at intui.travel – from 65$,
- transfer website 12Go.asia – from $ 65,
- cab at kiwi.taxi – from $75,
- transfers booked through a hotel – from $80.
How and where best to book an individual transfer (cab)
I have personally checked the level of cabs at the Colombo airport several times. I would not recommend it to anyone. The cars are in very bad condition.
Communication with the hotel can drag on for weeks and there is always the risk of a glitch somewhere. Usually I just feel sorry for wasting time on all this correspondence and checking if we understand each other correctly.
The most convenient and easy to understand site is kiwi.taxi – I myself regularly use their services and recommend them to friends, especially when traveling with children.
Intui.travel is my favorite if you need a car for a large family or company, but the process of booking a transfer they have not as convenient as kiwi.taxi.
12Go.asia has helped me many times when I needed to find the best type of transportation and get from one city to another.
Cabs in Sri Lanka, prices
Budget Taxi at Colombo Airport
Cabs in Sri Lanka are the most convenient way to get around the country. Of course, there are air transport, trains and buses, but none of them offers such convenience and speed as cabs. Yes, just imagine, but to fly from one part of the country to another will in most cases take even longer than covering that distance by cab. This is why when planning a trip to Sri Lanka it is worth considering at least a cab ride from the airport to the place of rest and back. Even for budget travelers, especially groups of several people, this option will not greatly hit the wallet, but will save a lot of time and nerves.
Cabs in Sri Lanka, by the way, there are several types. The usual cab is in the form of cars, and for groups of 5 people offered minivans with a capacity up to 12 passengers. And in recent years, a new budget cab in small cars for two people began to gain popularity. A trip to Budget Taxi will cost about 30% less than in a regular taxi.
And of course do not discount the ubiquitous tuk-tuks, a trip in which costs about a third less than a car cab. In addition, in most regions of the country car cabs are not represented at all, and there is only a choice of tuk-tuks.
Ordering a cab from the resorts or the airport is at a fixed price, but you can always haggle. It is important to be clear about the price and make sure it is in rupees and for all passengers, not just one person. Tricks with a price difference of $50 instead of $15, or 500 rupees instead of 50 are not uncommon. To avoid this kind of trouble, and in general to save money, it is best to use the Uber app, or a local version – Pick Me. It is better to have both apps installed at home. You need a mobile internet connection to make them work, but you can also use the free WiFi at the airport, hotels and cafes. Read more about Uber and PicMe in Sri Lanka here.
One more thing to know when taking a cab: there are toll roads in Sri Lanka, taking them can save you time, but you will have to pay an additional $1 to $5 for a highway trip.
You can also book a cab (tourist transfer from Kiwitaxi) in Sri Lanka through the proposed form, and the driver will be waiting for you at the airport on arrival:
Find your desired route
Book your transfer online
Your driver will pick you up at the airport or train station
Cab Prices in Sri Lanka as of November 2014
- Colombo airport – Ahangama – $95 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Ahungalla – $95 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Aluthgama – $55 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Anuradhapura – $121 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Arugam Bay – $200 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Bandarawela – $167 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Batticaloa – $132 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Bentota – $55 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Beruwala – $55 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Colombo – $28 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Dambulla – $83 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Dikwella – $130 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Ella – $121 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Galle – $90 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Habaraduwa – $90 for two passengers
- Colombo airport – Hikkaduwa – $90 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Induruwa – $64 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Kalkudah – $154 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Kalpitiya – $83 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Kalutara – $55 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Kandy – $83 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Koggala – $90 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Kosgoda – $72 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Marawila – $39 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Matara – $120 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Mirissa – $110 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Mount Lavinia – $33 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Negombo – $29 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Nilaveli – $143 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Nuwara Eliya – $116 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Pasicuda – $157 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Polonnaruwa – $127 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Sigiriya – $162 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Tangalle $140 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Tissamaharama – $170 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Trincomalee – $138 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Unawatuna – $90 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Wadduwa – $53 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Waikkal – $39 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Weligama – $110 for two passengers
- Colombo Airport – Yala – $240 for two passengers
- ❤ Join us on VK, Telegram, Viber or read the most interesting in Zen
- Find and book tours online at Onlinetours.ru or Travelata.ru
- ✈ Buy airline tickets on a trusted search engine – Aviasales.ru
- Book a hotel at Agoda.com or Booking.com
- ☂ Take out insurance to be safe at Sravni.ru or Cherehapa.ru
- Rent a car at Rentalcars.com or Localrent.com
- Book a transfer from the airport to your holiday destination on Kiwitaxi.ru
- View tours online on tripster.ru
|CITY/DESTINATION||DEPARTURE DATE||RETURN DATE||TO FIND A TICKET|
|Moscow-Colombo||2023-07-19||2023-07-26||FIND FROM 33,163 ₽|
|Spb-Colombo||2023-04-09||2023-04-18||FIND FROM 47,218 ₽|
|Samara-Colombo||2022-11-03||2022-11-29||FIND FROM 47,494 ₽|
|NavSb-Colombo||2023-01-28||2023-02-24||FIND FROM 49,344 ₽|
|Kazan-Colombo||2022-09-27||2022-10-11||FIND FROM 49,980 ₽|
|EkB-Colombo||2022-10-05||2022-10-25||FIND FROM 52,131 ₽|
Re: General questions about Sri Lanka Stas Novikov October 16, 2021 What is the Bounty there ? Hikkaduwa is more beautiful and better .
Re: General questions about Sri Lanka ivorlov November 6, 2021 Hi there. What is the situation with hotel prices now? Need to book in advance or can it be on the fact. Can I haggle on arrival?
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке admin 7 Ноябрь, 2021 r>Hello! Although I was last on SHL two years ago, I don’t think the situation has changed much in that time. As has always been the case in SEA, you can easily find accommodation on the spot and bargain, especially if you are looking for accommodation among the budget options and for the long term. If you plan to check into a particular hotel or a specific location where there are very few options, it is better to book in advance.
Re: General Questions about Sri Lanka Anton Galyuk 25 January, 2022 You have an article subtitled “Disadvantages, or why not to go to Sri Lanka” and “Pros, or why not to go to Sri Lanka” – what, and because of the pros also should not go? You should have edited the article.
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке Виктория_Абр 5 Февраль, 2022 Что я только что прочитала?! r>У нас совсем мной опыт. Живем на Шри Ланке второй месяц. Сейчас в Элле, до этого жили в Канди и Коломбо. Здесь самые добрые люди, которых мы встречали в жизни. Путешествуем мы немало, есть с чем сравнить. Воспитанные, скромные, спокойные, искренне пытающиеся помочь в любой ситуации. Вчера на плантациях у нас заканчивался бензин в байке, местные тук-тукеры безвозмездно отлили нам бензина почти полный бак. Деньги брать наотрез отказались. До этого сломалась наша машина на дороге и обладатель такой же модели машины час ввозился с ней, чтобы мы могли уехать. Конечно же про деньги и слушать не захотел, посмеялся только. Таких историй за 1,5 месяца – десятки. Мы уже и со счета сбились, сколько раз нас выручали люди. Снимаем жильё без Букинга. Обходим номера и снимаем понравившиеся. Все хозяева заботливые, внимательные люди, готовые помочь по любому вопросу. Ни разу никто не обманул ни на копейку. r>I can’t imagine how one would have to behave here to be confronted with this kind of behavior by Lankans. Most likely all written simply a provocation that has nothing to do with reality.
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке admin 7 Февраль, 2022 Виктория_Абр , Виктория, то что у вас такой удачный опыт и вас никто не обманул – это замечательно. r>Or maybe you just do not yet understand where and how you are deceived, which often happens with tourists in “rose-tinted glasses”. But your experience does not mean that this does not happen and that it is a provocation, as you put it. Deception of tourists and travelers is everywhere, and there is no tourist destination where it does not happen. Look for reviews on the Internet, you will find a lot of interesting things. For example, search about the rape of a Russian girl and the murder of her fiance by a relative of a local politician a few years ago, if I remember correctly, it was somewhere in Tangal, but I could be wrong, time has passed. So I advise you not to idealize your experience, because a traveler or a tourist should be prepared for all kinds of troubles, not to travel with “rose-colored glasses”.
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке nausla 7 Февраль, 2022 Только на прошлой неделе, смотрел передачу про приключения двух российских туристов.r>Forced to sit on that happy island for 2 years under the threat of life imprisonment until they were ransomed for more than a million . .
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке admin 8 Февраль, 2022 r>Yes, I’m aware of that story too, there were many stories about it on Russian TV. I just didn’t mention it.
Re: Общие вопросы о Шри-Ланке Лейла 18 Август, 2022 r>You mean the bio pirates? Well, they got what they deserved. They got off very easy. In indonesia or thailand, they’d be in trouble for a long time. Look for pictures on the Internet, when they were taken in the national park and came to the room with a search, there were about 500 species of beetles alone in boxes.
Follow low prices and our news in our VK, Facebook groups, OK, and Telegram channel