Where is Bali, what country is it? Photo and description of the island, geographical location
Territories, washed by the warm waters of the Java Sea and the Indian Ocean, – a favorite vacation spot for many tourists. Here stretches the exotic country of Indonesia, where the island of Bali is located. Here you want to return again and again – the diverse flora and fauna, mild climate, sea air and complete immersion in the harmony of the local way of life attracts travelers.
The Malay Archipelago, where Bali lies, stretches in a chain along the equator. Which country of the island-laden region it is located in is best seen on a map of Southeast Asia. These are Indonesian territories. They belong to the Lesser Sunda Islands. Bali is adjacent to two of them – Java and Lombok. In honor of the largest sea that washes the archipelago from the north, is called Javanese Sea.
The island of Bali is rounded, relatively small – a little over a hundred and fifty kilometers in length and a hundred and twelve in width. The total area is about 6,000 km².
On the map is more convenient to see where Bali is, in what country. It is located north of Australia, south of Malaysia, southeast of Singapore, and southwest of Indonesia.
More than four million people live on the island, with several main ethnic groups: Balinese, Javanese, Madurese, and Baliaga. Most of the population are adherents of Balinese branch of Hinduism, many are Muslims, the rest of the inhabitants practice a variety of religions, including Christianity.
Denpasar is the capital of Bali and the largest city on the island. It is located on the south coast. There are several territorial areas on the island: Ubud, Kutu, Seminyak, Legian, Nusa Dua, and Sanur.
You can get to the neighboring islands of Lombok, Nusa Dua and Gili by sea and by air. All the most interesting things about the country and Bali – where to go and in what season it’s best to go there, consider the following.
Due to the equatorial monsoon climate that dominates the islands of Indonesia, there are two main seasons during the year. These are the dry season and the wet season.
The first comes in late spring, in May, and ends in September. The peak is in the summer months, when the weather is consistently clear and dry with no precipitation. The average daily temperature in this season is about +31 °. Above mentioned, where, in what country is Bali. During this time, the island is especially crowded, and the beaches are literally an apple couldn’t fall. During the summer months, Bali gets a lot of Australians fleeing the winter in the southern hemisphere.
The humidity level on the island is at its lowest, the air is drier and more comfortable for outdoor activities and a variety of excursions, and the sky is clear and blue, which creates the perfect conditions for shooting the scenery.
Although the rest of the year is hard to call Bali a deserted place, there are always plenty of people here. The extensive tourist and recreational infrastructure makes it a great place to stay in any weather.
The official wet season is from October to April. During this time of year, monsoon winds bring cloudiness, rain, and storms to the island. Humidity levels in coastal areas can reach 75%.
Surfers consider these months to be the best time to visit the coast of Bali. What other country can boast that surfing championships bring athletes from all over the globe to catch steep waves here?
Natural and man-made sights
Natural and man-made wonders are all around the island. Centuries-old temples and stepped rice paddies, an abundance of exotic plants and animals. In a country so rich in historical and cultural attractions, which is the island of Bali – room for lovers of new experiences!
It is not large in size, all the interesting places, as if specially for the inquisitive traveler, are concentrated in one place.
Do not be upset if you managed to see only a few of them in one visit – there will be a reason to return here again!
Bali West National Park – Taman Bali Barat
Taman Bali Barat is a nineteen thousand hectares of protected natural area, which occupies most of the territory in the west of the island. It was declared a special state-protected natural area by decree in 1941.
About sixteen thousand hectares of the park is land area, and about three more are marine. According to its purpose, the park is divided into specialized zones – main, jungle, marine reserve, cultural, religious, historical, special, and traditional.
Most of the territory of the reserve is located on the highlands of Bali, this is where several prominent peaks rise – Prapat, Agung, Banewedang, Klatakan and the highest – Sangang, 1,000 m above sea level.
The water area of the island reserve has its own tiny areas of land – Menjangang, Burung, Gadung, Kalong.
In general, the vast area of the park consists of several distinct ecosystems – mangrove forests, coastal forests, seasonal forests, lowland, evergreen forests, savannahs and riverine rainforests. The coastal waters have coral reefs and seagrass meadows where you can go snorkeling and diving. Ecotourism in the park is well developed, although in a limited area.
West Bali Park is located near the seaport of Gilimanuk. From the capital here can be reached by transport in three hours. There are several other places of interest around the port, including the Purbacala Archaeological Museum.
Conservation and Nature Studies in the Reserve
Taman Bali Barat Park is not only a place of pilgrimage for many tourists, but also a site of diverse wildlife and cultural heritage research. Teams of scientists are constantly working here to conserve specific varieties of flora and fauna characteristic of the region’s ecosystem.
More than three hundred animals, birds and plants from the list of endangered species are preserved here in their natural habitat. Among them is the endemic Bali starling. Where it is, in which country it lives, back in the last century, began to study the German ornithologists. Other rare animals include the grieving zombard, a type of native deer, the scaly anteater or Sundu Pangolina, the black giant squirrel, the Malay porcupine, the marbled cat, the banteng, the mouse deer or kanchil, the striped water ram and the sea turtle.
Kampuhan Mountain Range
Another route for hikers with stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
The Kampuhan Mountains are located in the central highlands of the island, near the town of Ubud.
A hiking trail of about nine kilometers, consisting of winding mountain trails, give an unforgettable experience of fresh mountain air and beautiful views. Here you can make unique photos as a keepsake. In addition, active recreation is good invigorating after a lazy beach vacation.
The starting point of the ascent begins just outside the gates of Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas and Spa. Near the concrete path there is a special sign with a pointer, which, by the way, the entire route is equipped with. As soon as you turn left – the green surroundings of Kampuhan Valley will open its fabulous beauty.
A small, authentic bridge over the Kampuhan River leads to the majestic temple complex of Pura Gunung Lebah. The whimsical tiers of ancient walls immerse you in the historical past from the first steps of the walk. After a few hundred meters, the vast expanse of green hillsides and valleys opens up. The panorama is breathtaking – as far as the eye can see, an undulating sea of green spreads around, covered with tall reeds that the natives use for thatched roofs, typical of traditional Balinese architecture.
Continuing your journey, you will see the surroundings of Mount Agung with tiny villages surrounded by picturesque rice paddies and then you can go down to the Sungai Tserik River. From Mount Kampuhan you can see what Bali is like. In the country, this place is considered the abode of hardworking farmers.
It is best to walk in the early morning or late evening when the air is fresh and cool, and the rising or setting sun gives the sky the most delightful shades of colors.
Jatiluvih Rice Terraces
The rice paddies near Jatiluvih Village in West Bali are extraordinary. Built on ledges at the foot of Mount Batukaru, the fields’ endless emerald smoothness provides the perfect backdrop for peaceful contemplation and professional photography.
Jatiluvikha rice terraces are located on more than six hundred hectares of hillsides. This area has become farmland and has been carefully cultivated by local peasants since the ninth century. Now the village of Jatiluvih with its surrounding rice terraces is recognized as a cultural heritage site of the country and is under consideration for inclusion in the list of UNESCO.
Where is Bali on the world map, what’s worth exploring before you go?
If you still don’t know where to have a good time, you should definitely visit Bali. It’s hard to believe, but this place seems to be imbued with magic thanks to nature. Rice terraces, volcanoes, jungles, waterfalls, ocean, temples – the whole area is shrouded in beauty.
Bali on a map
Where is it
With Bali having become more and more popular in recent years, the geographical position of the island has been getting more and more important, and the question is: where is Bali on the map? The answer: Bali is located between India and Australia. On the world map, it is a small island in the Malay Archipelago.
- It has an area of 5,633 sq. km.
- Population about 4 million.
On a map of Indonesia, Bali is washed by the Pacific Ocean to the north and the Indian Ocean to the south. The island is separated from Lombok to the east and from Java to the west by a strait. As for the mountain lakes (Batur, Bratan), they are of volcanic origin. Their functions include: feeding rivers, irrigation of rice paddies. A folk map of Bali is created to show the most useful places. Detailed information is presented in the photo.
How to get there
The most interesting and least expensive way to get to Bali is in 2 approaches. First, you need to find a good deal from the closest city to Southeast Asia. Good deals are more often found to the following places: Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong. Second, the rest of the trip can be taken by low-cost airlines.
Airplane at the airport
Let’s turn to Russian cities:
- The cheapest flight to Bali is from Irkutsk and Vladivostok (from 26 thousand rubles), from 30 thousand – from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.
- The best offers from Moscow are provided by the company Qatar, the tickets can be found at a price of 40 thousand rubles.
- From St. Petersburg, the flight takes two changes. It costs from 38 thousand and more.
- As for other cities, it will be necessary to get here with 2 or 3 connections, the cost from 39 thousand rubles.
It is also important to remember that some airlines sometimes offer promotions and bargains (hot tours).
Which hotel to choose
You can find a map of hotels on the Internet, which provides lists of the best places to stay. Let’s look at some of them. Five-star:
- Ayodya Resort Bali. The hotel is placed along the coastline of Nusa Dua, which is very convenient: you can walk to the golf course in 5 minutes, 15 minutes to the airport by cab or your own car, 20 minutes to the shopping area. There is enough room for everyone, as the hotel has enough rooms (541). They are very comfortably furnished and have a bathroom, hairdryer, toilet, TV, telephone, mini-bar, coffee maker, balcony and terrace.
For tourists there is a lot of entertainment:
- Tennis court.
- Swimming pool.
- Sports Center.
- Underwater swimming.
It is possible to come here even with children, as the hotel provides a playground and children’s club.
- Melia Bali Indonesia is located on the beach resort of Nusa Dua, 20 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes from Dnieper. There are restaurants and souvenir shops nearby. The hotel has a total of 484 suites, which include:
- Air conditioning.
- Wireless connection.
- Grande Mirage Resort & Thalasso Bali is a spa hotel located 1 line from the sea. Transport accessibility – 20 minutes from the airport. The hotel has 301 rooms of different categories.
For visitors are available:
- Terrace with ocean and garden views.
- Air conditioning.
- Telephone connection.
- Wireless Internet.
In addition, there are sports grounds. You can also visit the bars and restaurants Grand Cafe, La Cascata, Jukung Grill, Panorama Lounge, Rama Stage.
- Grand Hyatt Bali is located within walking distance of Sanur, Kutai and Dnepsar. The hotel has 636 rooms of 49 square meters with balcony, safe, mini-bar, TV, CD player, Internet access.
- Souvenir store.
- 25 meeting rooms.
- A beauty salon.
If you want to attend an exhibition or other event, but your child does not feel well or just does not want to go with you, you can use the babysitting service or leave it in the children’s center Camp Nusa.
- Air conditioning.
- Bathroom and toilet.
- Hair dryer.
- 24-hour service.
- Swiss-Belhotel Segara is a hotel close to the sea in the shadow of tropical gardens and two swimming pools. The hotel has a convenient location: 16 km from Ngurah Rai, 2 km from the beach Geger. There is a restaurant “Café Laguna”, open from 7:00 to 23:00, where visitors can enjoy a buffet.
- Jayakarta Bali is a beach hotel that is close to shopping and entertainment. The 445 rooms have everything you need and want. As for leisure activities, you can visit the swimming pool, fitness center, massage room, play tennis.
Despite the fact that the territory of Bali is not so large, you can find individual towns in this place. Let’s take a closer look at the resorts of the island and find out why they are so attractive to tourists.
- Ubud is a small town in the center of the island, not unlike the southern part of the resort. It is recognized as a cultural capital and is famous for its history. In addition, this place is famous for the fact that here you will find a large number of craft workshops, as well as be inspired by art (stores and shops where they sell crafts of all kinds of materials). Don’t be surprised if you see people strolling down the street with a yoga mat in their hands, because Ubud is also a healthy lifestyle.
- The Bukit Peninsula is shrouded in a special atmosphere, as each beach of this place is a kind of attraction. The best among all are considered:
- Balangan Beach with its reef bottom and sandy shore. This place is suitable for those who are willing to spend their time admiring the sunset.
- Uluwatu is impressive in its energy. There is even a temple on the cliff face in the area that offers an incredible view of the ocean.
- Padang-Padang Beach is located next to the Single Fin Bar. It has been famous since the filming of Eat, Pray, Love. Despite the fact that it is not a lot of space – this does not prevent you from feeling insanely happy with the beauty you see.
- The “secret” beach of Karma Kandara is a little crowded and quiet place, belonging to the hotel. But if you really want to take pictures in this wonderful place, then we hasten to please you, as there is a wild area, which you can easily get to.
- Seminyak, Krobokan and Pettinget are located in the northwest of Kuta. A variety of restaurants, clubs and boutiques are available. This place will be interesting mainly for young people.
- Amed is the eastern part of the island, attracting attention due to its picturesque landscape. In addition, it has relatively low prices for accommodation, but a modest infrastructure.
- Tanjung Benoa is famous for its concentration of companies that offer water activities. However, it is not the best option for those who want to go sightseeing in the morning, as the drive to the main attractions is quite far.
- Pemuteran is almost not known even among the permanent residents of Bali, so when you come here, you are assured of peace and quiet. The location, however, here is not very convenient, because it will take about several hours to get from the airport. For young people, there is no entertainment provided here.
What to see
Attractions in Bali on the map are marked with certain icons (mostly green). Consider those that have a sufficient number of positive reviews.
- Lake Batur has its own legend, according to which the waters are filled with eleven springs and saturate the earth with moisture. For the Balinese this place is sacred. The interesting fact is that the lake was formed after Gunung Batur volcano (also called Kintamani volcano) spewed lava.
- Waterbom Water Park is located in the Kuta area and is suitable for both family and friends to visit. There is a health center on site where you can get massages, baths, and wraps. Opening hours are from 09:00 to 18:00.
- The rice terraces of Tegallalang catch your eye with their scenery.
- The bird park has 250 species of animals from South America, Africa and Indonesia. There are also very attractive butterflies and plants. After you get around this place, we suggest you visit the cafe in the park.
- The crocodile farm holds 300 reptiles. Usually experienced trainers show dangerous tricks and put on a show.
- The Forest of Monkeys is quite a popular place near the resort of Ubud, where you can see many statues in the form of animals, as well as enjoy the beauty of the forest. You can get there by cab or local transport.
- Goa Lavah Caves are located near Padangbei. They are inhabited by a large number of bats, which often scare tourists.
- Goa Gaja Caves are the oldest caves. The name translated means elephant cave carved out of stone at the entrance. This place is interesting because the grotto houses Buddhist sculptures and statues of the wisdom god Ganesha.
- Barat National Park covers an area of 760 square kilometers. The main attraction is Mount Klatakan. If you are going to visit it, have patience, because the ascent will take about 6 hours. The place attracts exotic plants, birds and animals, which are included in the Red Book (you can even meet a wild boar, monkey and snakes).
- Mount Batukau, 2276 meters high, is located in the southeast of Bali. There is also the Luhur Batukau Temple.
- Volcano Agung is recognized as the peak of Bali, which offers an incredible view. A large number of tourists are seen from April to October, because during this time it is quite dry.
Basically the beaches here are not designed for tourists to go into the water, as the near Indian Ocean envelops the place with big waves. However, if you come here just to sunbathe, relax in the fresh air and swim, there are still a few quiet places, which offers a map of Bali with beaches in Russian:
- Nusa Dua, an area for the resort, which is located in the south of the island of Bali. It is impossible to say with certainty that there are no waves here. However, the water here is much calmer than in other parts of the island, so here the time is good even for children. But do not forget about the tidal time, which is set by a certain schedule.
The advantage of this area is that it includes a fairly large number of hotels, which have open beaches. But the public beaches Geger Beach and Mengiat Beach offer paid services (issuing sun loungers and umbrellas).
You can take a shuttle bus, a local minibus, or a cab to get here. It will take you 20-60 minutes to get here.
- Jimbaran is a beach with a length of 5 km. However, it does not provide as many services as the above-mentioned place. The beach season lasts almost all year round, but there are exceptions, namely January and February, as it rains very often. For those who want to learn how to surf, this beach is the most suitable, because the waves are made for this sport.
The easiest way to get here is by cab, as the ride time is just 15 minutes.
- Sanur is a place designed for a cozy family vacation, because the waves are not noticeable at all. The beach has its own advantages: there is kitesurfing instruction in the summer and surfing instruction in the winter.
One of the best ways to get to Sanur is on the Perma Tours tour bus.
The Gili Islands are a must visit for those who want to get away from the perpetual hustle and bustle and enjoy the solitude. There are no waves here, but at low tide it is not always possible to swim. The most comfortable and interesting way to get there is by speedboat.
I should add that the beaches of Bali are in the app for iPhone and iPad.
Bali in Greece?
If you thought that there was only one place in the world Bali, we hasten to tell you that this is not true. The village with the same name is located in the north of Crete between Rethymno and Heraklion.
Bali village in Greece